when Windows98/Windows 95 appeared, they were based essentially on DOS along with a graphical interface. With Windows 2000 and Windows XP, DOS was transformed into an embedded subsystem. On a desktop, DOS is equivalent to a command, which can input commands. At times, the problems that cannot be handled by the desktop are transferred to the DOS. These days, the Windows operating system support DOS- a user interface. It is hidden though it exists.
You need a computer command to function just like humans depend on the command of brains to do things like study and work. DOS is the commander of a computer. You command DOS so that it can manipulate the computer. The chief idea is getting into the window and insert the DOS commands.
When you use a computer that has a DOS operating system, the command prompt is displayed automatically while you turn on the computer. When you use a Windows computer, you shall have to launch the command prompt manually. You can access it by typing R and Win buttons simultaneously. Type cmd and you will be in the DOS, called Command Prompt.
Features of DOS
The features of DOS are highlighted in our help for homework writing on DOS as follows:
- It is a 16-bit operating system
- The maximum space that is available is 2 GB
- The mouse cannot operate it. The input is through the basic system commands
- It is a free operating system
- DOS does not provide support to the graphical interface
- It is a text-based interface and needs codes and texts to operate
- It is just a single user operating system
- It is useful to make file management such as editing, creating, and deleting files, etc
- It is a character-based interface
Benefits of DOS
The benefits of DOS are discussed in our DOS assignment help online.
- You can have direct access to BIOS and the underlying hardware
- It is lightweight and therefore, it lacks the overhead of a multitasking operating system.
- It boots faster due to its size than another version of Window
- It is good to make workarounds to administer/manage an MS system and combining programs.
Though DOS is an operating system it has huge functionality. It works on the concept of getting more by doing less. There are a lot of websites wherein you can download many archived and old DOS programs.